The French Immersion School in Trois-Pistoles offers a unique experience in placing you with a specially chosen Quebecois family for room and board for the entire session. For over 85 years, families in Trois-Pistoles have welcomed students into their homes to offer first-hand experience of Quebecois culture and the French language. The homestay component of our program provides you with an opportunity to broaden and develop your language skills in an informal, homelike setting.
All of our host families are part of a local community organization, CAFEL, that partners with the university to offer quality accommodations. In Trois-Pistoles, you will have the support of our homestay coordinator to ensure a comfortable stay. Please note that 'host family' may mean a couple with or without children, or a single person with or without children. During your stay, the host families will provide well-balanced meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner - which will allow you to experience Quebecois cuisine while improving your language skills through conversation.
100% French Immersion
The hosts will encourage the exclusive use of French in the home.
- A dictionary, notebook, pens and pencils. WIFI is available at the school for laptops and mobile devices.
- Photo identification and health card and/or health insurance card, insurance number and plan details. Please note: provincial health cards will be honoured in Trois-Pistoles.
- Warm clothing and rain gear appropriate to northern maritime climate. The weather is often variable and can be cool.
- Hiking boots or good walking shoes for the various excursions.
- Spending money for optional trips and activities.
- Personal toiletries and any medication that you regularly require.
- A cell phone or a phone card that will work in Quebec.
- A swimsuit and beach towel, if you plan to visit the community pool or beach. Your host family will provide bed linens and towels.
- You may rent a bicycle from your host family or from the local bike shop. A helmet and reflective clothing are strongly recommended.
The immersion program in Trois-Pistoles gave me a wonderful opportunity to really live in French. My host family welcomed me with open arms and helped me with my pronunciation. Trois-Pistoles is a special place.
- Katherine, Kitchener, ON
The value of this program is the use of French in daily life, in the community, at the school, and in social situations. The food provided by my host family has been exceptional, and the homestay completes the immersion experience.
- Rajiv, Ottawa, ON
My hosts were wonderful and I had a lot of opportunity to practice my French with them. I appreciated their warmth and patience.
- Louise, Marietta, Georgia
I found the program very helpful for my level of French and for the improvement of my daughter’s French. My hosts were very helpful and patient.
- Sean, Timberlea, NS