Workshops and Activities
Rich in heritage and culture, Quebec is a vital and thriving part of the French-speaking world. In Trois-Pistoles, you can enjoy Quebecois music, theatre and art. Living with local residents, you become a member of the community and experience first-hand what makes Quebec society unique.
The French Immersion School in Trois-Pistoles offers an extensive and varied program of workshops, social and cultural events and activities. Special interest clubs enable you to meet, exchange ideas, and participate in activities appropriate to your particular level of French.
Workshops we have offered in the past include:
- Basic Communication - mandatory for all students registered in a beginner-level class.
- Photography and Biking - initiation to simple bike repair methods and basic photography tips.
- Theatre - practice in oral and written French through exercises of theatrical improvisation.
- Ecology and Gardens - plant/animal identification, meet with local gardeners for community garden projects.
- Discovery of the Region - guided visits to Trois-Pistoles historic and cultural sites with interactive discussions.
- Collective Creation - improvised theatre games.
- Music - discovery of Quebecois and French music and concert preparation.
- Visual Arts - artistic expression while learning vocabulary specific to art mediums and practices.
- Creative Writing - learning and practicing spoken and written French through literary and playful exercises.
- Health and Wellbeing- massage techniques and health-related topics such as nutrition, natural remedies.
- Quebecois Society - geography, history, literature, music, languages, ideas and ideals of Quebec.
- Community Integration - volunteer work in the community
Extracurricular activities we have offered in the past include:
- Concerts and plays performed by francophone groups
- Student talent shows, poetry readings and folklore evenings
- Tournaments for badminton, volleyball, basketball, soccer, tennis, and ping-pong
- Outdoor activities including bicycle trips, swimming, kayaking, and hiking excursions
- Language workshops (phonetics, DELF/DALF exam preparation)
Sociocultural activities offer experiences that enhance the language learning process and form an integral part of the immersion program. You are expected to participate in these activities on a regular basis. Some activities will be mandatory, while other sociocultural activities are optional. Any optional activity is offered as a valuable supplement to the regular program. Depending on your interests, there may be additional fees up to $500 for these optional activities.
Popular optional activities we have offered in the past include:
- A weekend trip to Quebec City
- Whale-watching in Rivière-du-Loup
- Visits to Mont Albert, Parc du Bic and Île aux Basques
Excursions provide you with an excellent opportunity to become better acquainted with the town of Trois-Pistoles and the Bas-Saint-Laurent region.