Explore Bursary Program
The Department of Canadian Heritage offers the Explore Bursary Program which it has sponsored since 1970. Under this Program, Western University's French Immersion School in Trois-Pistoles, Quebec is allocated a number of bursaries for students (18+) who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents and who wish to learn French as their second official language. Courses are offered at all levels, from beginner to advanced, during the spring and summer.
Upon successful completion of the program, participants will earn a full-year university credit from Western.
The Explore bursary covers tuition, accommodation and meals, workshops and
To apply for an Explore bursary, please follow these three easy steps:
- Apply online at englishfrench.ca. Be sure to list our school as your first or only choice when applying to increase your chance of being awarded a bursary for our program.
- Follow the application instructions on the Explore website and submit any required documents to the Explore portal, by the application deadline: February 15.
* For Western students: As an exception in 2022, the Explore office will accept a copy of your Statement of Account from Student Center as proof of enrollment at Western in lieu of getting the Declaration Form stamped and signed. You will still need to sign the Declaration Form yourself and submit it along with a copy of your Statement of Account to the Explore portal.
- Wait for the draw results. Bursaries are awarded by random draw at the end of March and, if you have been awarded a bursary, you will be notified by both your provincial coordinator and by the French Immersion School (if you are attending our session). You might be put on a waiting list but, don't despair! There are additional draws every week until all bursaries are awarded.
Credit - Western Students
Upon successful completion of the Five Week Credit Program, you will have earned a full-year French credit from Western. The French course, as well as your final grade, will automatically appear on your student account.
You may participate in Explore at other accredited universities for transfer credits provided the Faculty in which you are currently registered approves such courses in advance. The approval is subject to individual Faculty/Department regulations and is granted in the form of a Letter of Permission issued by the Registrar’s Office.
Credit - Visiting Students
Upon successful completion of the Five Week Credit Program, you will have earned a full-year French credit from Western University. The French course, as well as your final grade, will automatically appear on your Western student account. If you would like to transfer this credit to your home institution, please contact your Registrar's Office or Faculty for more information about the transfer credit process.
The Explore program in Trois-Pistoles is unparalleled. Being the fourth person in my family to come to Trois-Pistoles with Explore, I had extremely high expectations for the program, yet I did not expect them to be met, let alone surpassed. From the high quality of academic instruction, to the variety of extra-curricular activities, to the discovery of the culture and, most importantly to the relationships formed, Trois-Pistoles has been an unforgettable experience. It has reinvigorated my appetite for learning, rekindled my love of French and opened my eyes to so many new possibilities. Trois-Pistoles has undoubtedly changed my life and the laughter, the memories and the sunsets will be forever etched on my heart.
- Laura Sandre, St. Francis Xavier University